Welcome to the Kids Department!
The youth side of the library is meant for exploration, wonder, and discovery. We have a wide variety of books, movies, music CDs, and audiobooks, as well as access to emedia, allowing you to take your favorite characters on the road with you through your tablet and smartphone. A warm, smiling face will greet you and will be happy to help you find your next favorite book. Click the links below to learn more about what we offer to the Sugar Grove community.
Kids Special Events
SUMMER READING KICKOFF
Saturday, June 5
All ages: Kick off the Summer Reading Program "Tails and Tales" by adopting a live or stuffed pet and donating pet supplies to Rover Rescue!
11:00am-12:00pm: Story Time with Chase from Paw Patrol
11:00am-3:00pm: Pet Adoption with Rover Rescue
11:00am-3:00pm: Stuffed Animal Adoption
11:00am-3:00pm: Pet Supply Drive
You can also pick up your Summer Reading 2021 informational packet.
All events are drop in.
Anti-Racism Booklist for Kids
Available in print:
· Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (also on Libby/Overdrive app)
· 42 Is Not Just A Number by Doreen Rappaport (also on Libby/Overdrive app)
· Stella By Starlight by Sharon M. Draper
· Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez & Her Family’s Fight for Desegregation by Duncan Tonatiuh (also on Libby/Overdrive & Hoopla apps)
· Sit-In: How Four Friends Stood Up By Sitting Down by Selina Alko
· My Heart Fills With Happiness by Monique Gray Smith
· All Are Welcome by Alexandra Penfold
· Happy To Be Nappy by Bell Hooks
· Desmond And The Very Mean Word by Desmond Tutu
· My Name is Bilal by Asma Mobi-Uddin
· Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
· You Can Be by Elise Gravel
· The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab And Family by Ibtiaj Muhammad
· Round Is A Tortilla: A Book Of Shapes by Roseanne Thong
· It’s Okay To Be Different by Todd Parr
Available as an ebook:
For more information on the Library's ebook apps, click here.
· Different Days by Vicki Berger Erwin
· Let The Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred D. Taylor
· The Lions Of Little Rock by Kristin Levine
· Midnight Without A Moon by Linda Williams Jackson
· Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness by Anastasia Higginbotham
· The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
· Diversity Is Key by Bryan Smith
· Wishtree by Kathrine Applegate
· Books on Martin Luther King Jr. available on Hoopla
· Books on Racism on Libby
Story Time Kits
Now you can have Story Time at home!
- Summer Story Time Kit - This kit includes readalongs, music, movies, a craft and a coloring page centered around "Tails and Tales" - Animals, Stories, and Summer!
- Winter Story Time Kit - This kit includes ebooks, music, a craft, 2 movies, and a coloring page centered around winter, snow, and snowmen.
Virtual Story Time Kit Archives: (Autumn, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, and more!)
Illinois award books
Every year, the state of Illinois nominates a plethora of books for 3 awards.
- The Monarch Award nominates books appropriate for kids in kindergarten through 3rd grade. A list of all current 2022 nominees can be found here. The 2021 winning title was "Can I Be Your Dog?" by Troy Cummings.
- The Bluestem Award nominates books appropriate for kids in 3rd through 5th grade. A list of all current 2022 nominees can be found here. The 2021 winning title was "Wedgie & Gizmo" by Suzanne Selfors.
- The Caudill Award nominates books appropriate for kids in 4th through 8th grade. A list of all current 2022 nominees can be found here. The 2021 winning title was "Front Desk" by Kelly Yang.
- The Lincoln Award nominates books appropriate for kids in 9th through 12th grade. A list of all current 2022 nominees can be found here. The 2021 winning title was "Truly Devious" by Maureen Johnson.
Explore More Illinois is a cultural pass program that allows Illinois public library cardholders to get offers from museums, park districts, historical societies, performing and visual arts centers, and other attractions. Explore More Illinois is free and can be accessed 24/7 from any computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Log in with your library card credentials and browse for passes by date or attractions. Make your reservation and print or download your pass shortly before your visit. You can have two active reservations per library card. Please cancel your reservation(s) if unable to attend, otherwise the reservation will count as being used. Remember that once you print or download your pass you cannot cancel your reservation.
Use your library card to checkout passes for free admission or a special discount at participating Chicago area cultural destinations. This includes the popular Brookfield Zoo! Check the availability of passes by clicking here. If you would like to checkout a pass, visit the library and we will print the pass for you, which will be valid for 7 days. For a full list of museum and how the Museum Adventure Program works, click here.
Playaway launchpad tablets
Our new collection of Playaway Launchpad tablets are here! We recently acquired seven additional pre-loaded educational tablets filled with games that will compliment your preschool or elementary school child's education. We have 17 different tablets for you to check out including:
- Big Minds! - STEAM (Ages 5-7)
- Exploration Station! - STEAM (Ages 3-5)
- From the Inside Out! - Science (Ages 3-5)
- Make the Connection - STEAM (Ages 5-7)
- Minds in Motion! - STEAM (Ages 5-7)
- Science Explosion! - Science (Ages 8-10)
- What's the Count? - Math (Ages 3-5)
- Claws! Paws! And Leggy Things! - Science (Ages 5-7)
- A Day at the Zoo! - Zoo (Ages 3-5)
The tablet cases are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books. See the Youth Services Desk to check them out.
EDUCATION CONNECTION BACKPACK BUNDLES
Our new collection of Backpack Bundles are here! Thanks to the Grand Victoria Riverboat Fund, we were able to acquire several new books, DVDs, and multimedia that will compliment your child's elementary school curriculum. We have 8 different backpacks for you to check out including:
- Phonics (Gr. K-1)
- Presidents (Gr. K-2)
- Presidents (Gr. 3-5)
- Geography & Maps (all ages)
- Science Experiments (all ages)
- S.T.E.A.M. (all ages)
- Reptiles (all ages)
These bundles contain nonfiction books and DVDs, but may also incorporate puzzles, flash cards, or props. They are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books.
Header image courtesy of Lissette Corirossi with Snowbunny Photography, Inc.