Welcome to the Kids Department!
The youth side of the library is meant for exploration, wonder, and discovery. We have a wide variety of books, movies, music CDs, and audiobooks, as well as access to emedia, allowing you to take your favorite characters on the road with you through your tablet and smartphone. A warm, smiling face will greet you and will be happy to help you find your next favorite book. Click the links below to learn more about what we offer to the Sugar Grove community.
Kids Special Events
KIWANIS PRESENTS: HOLIDAY IN THE GROVE
All ages: Kiwanis Presents-Holiday in the Grove is a Village-Wide day of festivities! Here is the library schedule for that day:
- 10:30 am: Holiday Story Time (Youth Lounge)
- 11:00 am - 2:00 pm: Craft & Vendor Fair (Meeting Room C)
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm: Holiday Craft for Kids (Story Time Room)
- 11:00 am - 11:45 am: Apollo String Quartet (NOW Space)
- 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm: Book Bingo (NOW Space)
- 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm: Craft for Teens (TeenZone)
- 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm: Craft for Adults (NOW Space)
Saturday, December 3
READ TO ROVER
All ages: Spend some time practicing your reading with friendly dogs from Fox Valley Therapy Dogs. Children who are able to read on their own can read their favorite stories to dogs who love to listen. Grades 1-6 or able to read on their own. A separate registration is required each month. No library card necessary.
Saturday, December 10: 10:30-11:30am
Booklists for Kids
From award winning books to anti-racism reading lists, check out our Kids Booklists for great reads!
Story Time Kits
Now you can have Story Time at home!
- Autumn Story Time Kit - This kit includes 2 read-alouds, ebooks, a song, a craft, and a coloring page centered around fall leaves, squirrels, and other fun autumn activities.
- Thanksgiving Story Time Kit - This kit includes readalongs, music, movies, a craft and a coloring page centered around Thanksgiving!
- Winter Story Time Kit - This kit includes ebooks, music, a craft, 2 movies, and a coloring page centered around winter, snow, and snowmen.
Virtual Story Time Kit Archives: (Fairy Tales, Mother's Day, Summer, and more!)
Explore More Illinois is a cultural pass program that allows Illinois public library cardholders to get offers from museums, park districts, historical societies, performing and visual arts centers, and other attractions. Explore More Illinois is free and can be accessed 24/7 from any computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Log in with your library card credentials and browse for passes by date or attractions. Make your reservation and print or download your pass shortly before your visit. You can have two active reservations per library card. Please cancel your reservation(s) if unable to attend, otherwise the reservation will count as being used. Remember that once you print or download your pass you cannot cancel your reservation.
Use your library card to checkout passes for free admission or a special discount at participating Chicago area cultural destinations. This includes the popular Brookfield Zoo! Request a pass by clicking here. Passes are now available to request online, and we will email you the pass within 1-2 business days. Once issued, passes are good for 7 days. Only one pass can be issued to a family at a time. For a full list of museums and how the Museum Adventure Program works, click here.
Playaway launchpad tablets
Our collection of Playaway Launchpad tablets has some new additions! We recently acquired three additional pre-loaded educational tablets filled with games that will compliment your preschool or elementary school child's education. We have 14 different tablets for you to check out including:
- Big Minds! - STEAM (Ages 5-7) #1
- Exploration Station! - STEAM (Ages 3-5) #2
- From the Inside Out! - Science (Ages 3-5) #3
- Science Explosion! - Science (Ages 8-10) #7
- Claws! Paws! And Leggy Things! - Science (Ages 5-7) #9
- Be My Hero! - Real Life Heroes (Ages 5-7) #11
- Curious By Nature! - Critical Thinking (Ages 8-10) #12
- Build It! Fix It! Fun! - Building/Engineering (Ages 3-5) #14
- Backpack of Fun! - Life Skills (Ages 5-7) #15
- Animal Talk! - Animals (Ages 3-5) #17
- I'm Doing All That! - Life Skills (Ages 5-7) #18
- *Fur-Ever Reading! (Ages 8+) #19
- *Reading Is A Picnic! (Ages 3+) #20
- *A Wordy Adventure! (Ages 5+) #21
- *Born to Learn! (Ages 5+) #22
- *The Way I See It! - Creativity (Ages 8+) #23
*New Additions, May & August 2022
The tablet cases are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books. See the Youth Services Desk to check them out.
EDUCATION CONNECTION BACKPACK BUNDLES
Our new collection of Backpack Bundles are here! Thanks to the Grand Victoria Riverboat Fund, we were able to acquire several new books, DVDs, and multimedia that will compliment your child's elementary school curriculum. We have 8 different backpacks for you to check out including:
- Phonics (Gr. K-1)
- Presidents (Gr. K-2)
- Presidents (Gr. 3-5)
- Geography & Maps (all ages)
- Science Experiments (all ages)
- S.T.E.A.M. (all ages)
- Reptiles (all ages)
These bundles contain nonfiction books and DVDs, but may also incorporate puzzles, flash cards, or props. They are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books.
Header image courtesy of Lissette Corirossi with Snowbunny Photography, Inc.