Welcome to the Kids Department!
The youth side of the library is meant for exploration, wonder, and discovery. We have a wide variety of books, movies, music CDs, and audiobooks, as well as access to emedia, allowing you to take your favorite characters on the road with you through your tablet and smartphone. A warm, smiling face will greet you and will be happy to help you find your next favorite book. Click the links below to learn more about what we offer to the Sugar Grove community.
Virtual Summer Reading
FRIDAY MAY 15 - FRIDAY JULY 31
Track your reading and complete activities to earn virtual raffle tickets and a prize bundle! Stay tuned for more details here on our website and via our various social media pages!
Story Time Kits
Now you can have Story Time at home!
Virtual Book Club for Kids
Grades 3-6: Have you read any of the "I Survived" series by Lauren Tarshis? They have been very popular since they were first published! And now some of them have been written as graphic novels! Kids in Grades 3-6 can join Miss Nancy for a virtual book club on Wednesday, June 17th from 4:30-5:30pm to discuss any and all of the "I Survived" books! These titles are available on Libby, Axis360, and Hoopla as ebooks and audiobooks.
When you register, you will receive an email with information on how to join the online meeting. You will need a smartphone or computer with microphone/video to join in.
Bonus Borrows on Hoopla
In order to provide more content during this difficult time of sheltering at home, hoopla Digital has curated the hoopla Bonus Borrows collection.
This list of more than 1,000 top titles is FREE to Libraries - PLUS each of the included titles will not count toward each cardholder's monthly limit! Follow the links below to see each free collection! Available through May 31st!
Illinois award books
Every year, the state of Illinois nominates a plethora of books for 3 awards.
- The Monarch Award nominates books appropriate for kids in kindergarten through 3rd grade. A list of all current 2021 nominees can be found here. The 2020 winning title was "Baby Monkey, Private Eye" by Brian Selznick.
- The Bluestem Award nominates books appropriate for kids in 3rd through 5th grade. A list of all current 2021 nominees can be found here. The 2020 winning title was "Real Friends" by Shannon Hale.
- The Caudill Award nominates books appropriate for kids in 4th through 8th grade. A list of all current 2021 nominees can be found here. The 2020 winning title was "Refugee" by Alan Gratz.
- The Lincoln Award nominates books appropriate for kids in 9th through 12th grade. A list of all current 2021 nominees can be found here. The 2020 winning title was "They Both Die At The End" by Adam Silvera.
Explore More Illinois is a cultural pass program that allows Illinois public library cardholders to get offers from museums, park districts, historical societies, performing and visual arts centers, and other attractions. Explore More Illinois is free and can be accessed 24/7 from any computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Log in with your library card credentials and browse for passes by date or attractions. Make your reservation and print or download your pass shortly before your visit. You can have two active reservations per library card. Please cancel your reservation(s) if unable to attend, otherwise the reservation will count as being used. Remember that once you print or download your pass you cannot cancel your reservation.
Use your library card to checkout passes for free admission or a special discount at participating Chicago area cultural destinations. This includes the popular Brookfield Zoo! Check the availability of passes by clicking here. If you would like to checkout a pass, visit the library and we will print the pass for you, which will be valid for 7 days. For a full list of museum and how the Museum Adventure Program works, click here.
Playaway launchpad tablets
Our new collection of Playaway Launchpad tablets are here! We recently acquired seven additional pre-loaded educational tablets filled with games that will compliment your preschool or elementary school child's education. We have 17 different tablets for you to check out including:
- Big Minds! - STEAM (Ages 5-7)
- Exploration Station! - STEAM (Ages 3-5)
- From the Inside Out! - Science (Ages 3-5)
- Make the Connection - STEAM (Ages 5-7)
- Minds in Motion! - STEAM (Ages 5-7)
- Science Explosion! - Science (Ages 8-10)
- What's the Count? - Math (Ages 3-5)
- Claws! Paws! And Leggy Things! - Science (Ages 5-7)
- A Day at the Zoo! - Zoo (Ages 3-5)
The tablet cases are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books. See the Youth Services Desk to check them out.
EDUCATION CONNECTION BACKPACK BUNDLES
Our new collection of Backpack Bundles are here! Thanks to the Grand Victoria Riverboat Fund, we were able to acquire several new books, DVDs, and multimedia that will compliment your child's elementary school curriculum. We have 8 different backpacks for you to check out including:
- Phonics (Gr. K-1)
- Presidents (Gr. K-2)
- Presidents (Gr. 3-5)
- Geography & Maps (all ages)
- Science Experiments (all ages)
- S.T.E.A.M. (all ages)
- Reptiles (all ages)
These bundles contain nonfiction books and DVDs, but may also incorporate puzzles, flash cards, or props. They are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books.
ipad learning station
One iPad is available to kids to use at a first-come, first-serve basis as you enter the kids library. Letting a child explore this digital medium is a great way for them to improve hand-eye coordination, build a vocabulary, and learn how and why things react a certain way after interacting with them. It is loaded with books, educational games, and some familiar faces, like Olaf, Minnie Mouse, and Thomas the Tank Engine. Parents, click here to view our App Guide, and to learn about the different applications your child could be using.
Header image courtesy of Lissette Corirossi with Snowbunny Photography, Inc.